According to a recent study by CargoNet, cargo theft increased 20 percent last year, racking up a value of $223 million worth of stolen freight in 2022. The number of fraudulent thefts shot up from 16 in 2021 to 116, demonstrating how thieves are gradually shifting to more sophisticated means than a typical theft at a truck stop or drop yard.
Fraudulent pickups have been a growing trend in recent years with thieves utilizing load boards to book shipments as well as burner phones, which they discard once the freight is picked up. However, thieves are now complicating things even more by calling up brokers direct and posing as a well-known carrier to book freight. As Travelers’ Scott Cornell notes, thieves are taking the chance that the carrier’s name they use is vetted by the broker. If they pass that part, they don’t just book one load but several at a time. 1
While tractor trailers can be stolen in 60 seconds are less, an entire trailer can be emptied in just 12 minutes, according to Overhaul’s Danny Ramon. With each day that passes, the odds of recovering stolen cargo drastically decreases, emphasizing the need to keep a close eye on your freight. But you shouldn’t need to stay awake all hours of the night to do so. A multi-layered approach needs to be taken for the best protection from cargo theft. Here are some ways Road Scholar Transport is helping keep your high valued goods safe during transport:
- We are an asset-based carrier so you can be sure that a uniformed Road Scholar Transport representative who is constantly trained on the latest cargo theft threats is moving your freight, not an imposter.
- We’ve never suffered a full cargo loss in company history.
- Expedited services are available so that your product is not sitting on a dock for days.
- All shipment locations and temperature ranges are tracked and monitored in real time via telematics. Road Scholar uses track, trace, and temperature monitoring solutions to keep an electronic eye on freight.
- Geofencing capability-route and customer specific.
- 24 x 7 dispatch and oversight.
- US customs approved Navalock-bolt cutter, sledgehammer and chisel proof. We use the Babaco TRUK-LOC V on high-security loads. A lock that CANNOT be shimmed, lost, cut, stolen, or forgotten.
- Dedicated use and teams.
- Electronic door monitoring providing e-mail alerting, online monitoring/reporting, on-demand GPS location, and complete coverage throughout North & Central America.
- Brightly colored and easily distinguishable awareness trucks.
Check out our high security transport page today.
Leave a Reply